Featured image from Pexels.com. The links in this post are not sponsored or affiliated. Some of the items in mum’s bag reflects on the summer season baby will be born.
Are you a mum to be like me and are thinking about what to pack in your hospital bag? I am 36 weeks in but have had our bags packed for a while now just in case I go into labour early because you never know! Anyone that knows me understands how organised I like to be so where I can, I try to make that possible.
In early August, Danny and I are expecting our first child. Due to Covid we haven’t been able to attend any antenatal classes in person but there have been a few we have seen available online, two of which we have attended for free. The class by Let’s Talk Birth and Baby gave us an idea of what to pack in our hospital bags along with other little tips we read online.
How many bags do I need to pack?
We have gone with 3 bags – 1 for me, 1 for baby, and Danny is taking his rucksack. Mine is a lovely pink bag I had already bought from Amazon in 2019. It’s great for overnight or weekend stays if you go on a trip too. A few months ago, we purchased a cute set of maternity and changing bags and are using one of them for baby.
What’s in baby’s bag?
We decided to pack the following items for baby. Some parents would take less and some take more. Also, a little tip which might help, putting a nappy, vest, baby grow and newborn hat in a little sandwich bag, helps to keep things organised.
- Newborn vests x 3-5
- New born sleep suits/baby grows x 3-5
- Small pack of newborn nappies (we chose the free Pampers pack we got from Emma’s Diary
- Cotton wool balls
- Cellular blanket
- Ready made formula and bottles (for mums who choose to formula feed)
- Going home outfit
- Mini Sudocrem and Bepanthen cream (couldn’t decide)
- Newborn hat x2
- Muslin cloths
- Don’t forget the car seat!
What’s in mum’s bag?
- Comfy nighty x2
- Maternity sanitary towels
- Breast pads
- Mini shampoo and conditioner
- Mini shower gel and sponge
- Dark towel for shower
- Mini pack of face wipes
- Phone charger
- Snacks – I’m thinking fruit, snack bars, Snack a Jacks, fruit juice etc.
- Black knickers and comfy wireless bra
- Lip balm
- Slippers and socks (not sure if I’ll wear the socks or not)
- Light robe – it’s way too warm for a fluffy dressing gown!
- Loose going home outfit – leggings, a baggy top OR a loose maxi dress (depends on how I feel) with flip flops
- Hair scrunchie (or bobble)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Small concealer/foundation – wonder if it’ll actually get used!
- Little bag for dirty washing
- Prescribed medication
- Don’t forget your maternity notes (and birth plan if you have one)
What’s in dad’s bag?
- Extra set of clothes (just in case)
- Snacks – leaving Danny to choose!
- Drinks – no doubt an energy drink or two
- There’s enough of the other toiletries above for both of us
Some mums have their own idea of what they would like to pack but I hope this helps other first time mums who are wondering where to start. And I honestly think it’s never too early to be prepared.
Good luck to all of the mamas to be out there!